Hold Yourself Accountable

The Brazen Careerist has written a good article about crafting good answers to the question, "Tell me about yourself." After reading the article, you practically feel guilty if you haven't spent some time on this.

I've been engaging in a similar exercise lately, penning my values, goals, and expectations to help myself visualize success for both myself and my organization. I encourage you to take a few minutes to do the same. You don't have to get all Coveyesque about it, but I guarantee that this sort of mini-self-examination will help get you on track.

Things I Expect of Myself
1. I will always be on time and keep my appointments
2. I will feel comfortable to give my opinion when it is not the consensus
3. I will not jeopardize other peoples' time unnecessarily
4. I will allow myself time to work on projects that genuinely interest me
5. I will be willing to say no to other people and projects
6. I will communicate my expectations to others

You will be surprised how often your associates will adopt your personal expectations and values as their own when you are willing to wear them on your sleeve. Before you know it, you've created a culture.

No comments: